Thursday, May 23, 2019

Slow recovery

It has been a while since I have had the energy to post a blog.

Last week my school, Maristas Champagnat, celebrated their 100th birthday by throwing a 2 day fiesta. I attended on the first day of the celebrations. Helping out on the fun stalls and afterwards attended the 1st and 2nd year primary students talent contest. Sadly things took a turn for the worst for me after lunch back at the residencia. My stomach began to hurt and after dinner it felt much worse. That evening when I went to bed I was burning up and having cold chills at the same time. I have been suffering with a stomach virus ever since and still struggling to feel better. Thankfully on Tuesday I somehow felt well enough to return to my school and resume lessons.

Today I offered to help in the school's charitable work called solidaridad. Some of the parents volunteer at the school once a week to make handmade crafts. They sell them to make money for a school in Paraguay which helps get children off the street. The parents were painstakingly making little votive wedding decorations by hand and carefully packaging each item. It was lovely to sit and chat with the parents. Their Spanish brushing off on me and my English brushing off on them. Everyone is incredibly warm and hospitable. I feel right at home. It felt very rewarding to help out in this small way and get to know some of the parents better.


No comments:

Post a Comment